25 February 2007

I Love My Sleep


I love my sleep. For most of my life to date, I’ve not been an early riser. I stay up well after midnight on most nights and “the morning” is something I see on TV. My bed is extremely comfortable and when I wake up in the morning it coxes me to stay there and fall back asleep. So I do. The funny thing is I’d rather get up early in the morning.

For years and years I have always thought about changing my sleeping pattern to be an early riser and I’ve made many attempts to do just that. Yet, I always fell back to my sleeping-in ways. On weekends, I like to sleep in 'till around noon. On top of that my job allows me to show up at pretty much any time. So I normally don't have to wake up until about 8:30, at the earliest.

Well I ran across an interesting article on a website I've never been to before called StevePavlina.com. Steve has written many articles about sleep. From the basics on how to be an early riser to something called Polyphasic sleep. In Polyphasic sleep you only sleep for a max of 30 minutes every 4 hours. Anyway, long story short, I've decided to give the early riser thing a go.

So begins the log of my change to becoming an early riser. My goal is to wake up at 5 AM every morning and be at work no later than 7 AM.

I don’t expect this to be an easy change for me, though the solution on how to do it is simple. All I’m going to do is set an alarm for 5 AM. I won’t set a specific time to go to sleep. As some have suggested. I’ll just go to sleep when I’m tired. Anyway, here it goes.

-Colin

No comments: